An outspoken resident who survived Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades has said he will no longer give media interviews following his release following an arrest for allegedly defrauding the government of a loan.

“Going forward, I won’t answer for anything, OK?” Wang Fuk Court resident Jason Kong said reporters outside Tsuen Wan Police Station shortly after midnight on Saturday. “Thank you all for your care and support over the last few months.”
Kong and his wife were said to be arrested on Thursday on suspicion of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud.
The couple, both directors of an interior design company, allegedly used fraudulent means to obtain several hundred thousand dollars in loans under the government’s special 100% loan guarantee scheme, which was launched during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Sources familiar with the matter told HKFP on Friday that they were being detained at a police station.
The arrests came about two weeks after Kong was implicated organizing and submitting a petition to Hop On Managementthe government-appointed administrator for the Tai Po housing estate, asking the firm to hold a meeting with the homeowners.
Kong, who was a member of the board of owners of Wang Fuk Court when the fire broke out in November, had also spoken to the media about other issues, such as long-term displacement.
However, after his release on Saturday, he declined to answer reporters’ questions about whether he was under investigation for other matters, as well as whether he would still address matters related to a petition for an owners’ meeting.

Asked if he was still able to speak for residents, Kong said he had “no comment”.
“I hope everyone can stay safe and healthy, and once again I thank everyone for their support,” he said.
“I hope the residents will be settled as soon as possible,” Kong added as he got into a taxi.
Hop On, which received a petition with 247 handwritten signatures on April 29, has yet to hold an in-person meeting with the homeowners. The management firm said last week that it would be applied to the Lands Tribunal to extend the legal deadline for collection.
Kong and the other survivors of the fire had left earlier a similar online petition in March, signed by more than 400 homeowners and representatives of those killed in the fire.
Hop On refused the request, while said the Department of Home Affairs the signatures may have been forged.
Kong too testified before an independent commission investigating the fire last month, saying government agencies had “failed in their duties” despite receiving complaints about the renovation project at the property.










