Host of LGBTQ radio show “We’re Family” says Metro Radio stopped reopening


Hong Kong’s Radio Metro has abruptly scrapped a plan to restart the radio program We Are Familyan LGBTQ show tuned by the government-funded broadcaster RTHK three years ago, her host said.

The crew of the LGBT radio program Ne Jemi Familje. Photo: We Are Family, via Facebook.
The crew of the LGBT radio program Ne Jemi Familje. Photo: We Are Family, via Facebook.

Brian Leung Siu-fai, the host of We Are Family, said on the show’s Facebook page Wednesday that Metro Radio invited him back in April to relaunch We Are Family on Metro Info Live, one of the radio channels.

The invitation was made by Steven Ma, who at the time was the CEO of Metro Radio. It was decided that the show would start on May 29, Leung said.

After Ma announced he was leaving Metro Radio in May, Leung said he sought clarification from the head of Metro Info Live on whether the show would continue. He was told it would launch as planned and that an ad for it had already aired on Monday.

However, Leung said he received a call from the head of Metro Info Live on Wednesday afternoon, saying that Metro Radio’s new management had decided to stop the relaunch.

No reason was given for the change, Leung said.

HKFP has contacted Metro Radio, which is owned by CK Hutchison Holdings, for comment.

Veteran broadcaster Brian Leung
Veteran broadcaster Brian Leung, who hosted We Are Family for 17 years. Photo: We Are Family, via Facebook.

“It was unexpected and unusual… (I) send my apologies to everyone We Are Familysupporters to raise everyone’s hopes,” Leung said in the Chinese-language post.

“The platform is run by others and we cannot influence their decisions back and forth. What we can do is protect the channels we have left and keep talking,” Leung said.

We Are Family was launched in 2006 to promote diversity and discuss topics related to gay culture and different lifestyles, according to on the broadcaster’s website.

It was the first and only LGBTQ radio show in the city. After RTHK’s suspension, Leung continues to host the show on YouTube canal.

Hong Kong has seen shrinking space for LGBTQ events in recent years.

Monday, LGBTQ carnival Pink Dot announced its cancellation for the second year after its withdrawal. Leung is also a co-director of Pink Dot.

In November last year, the Hong Kong Pride Committee canceled an outdoor festival at Kwun Tong Promenade after being told the seat was not available.

Maintaining freedom of the press; keep HKFP free for all readers supporting our team

Support HKFP | Policies & Ethics | Error/typo? | CONTACT | Bulletin | Transparency & Annual Report | Applications

Make one one time donation.
Google Play hkfp
hkfp apple app
hkfp payment methods
Youtube video
Youtube video



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *