A 67-year-old man has been sentenced to two months in prison, suspended for 24 months, after pleading guilty to redistributing a social media post calling for a “patriots only” boycott of the 2025 legislative elections.

According to in a press release from the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC), Lam Kin-sik admitted on Monday to inciting another person not to vote, in breach of the Elections (Corrupt and Unlawful Conduct) Ordinance.
While it is legal to cast a blank ballot or boycott an election in Hong Kong, it is illegal to encourage another person to do so during an election period.

Magistrate Shirley Cornelia Hung said a prison sentence was inevitable as it was a serious offence, but it was suspended considering Lam’s guilty plea and mitigating factors such as his health.
Lam was among the three people prosecuted by ICAC in November after sharing social media posts by two overseas activists – Alan Keung and Tong Wai-hung – who called for a boycott of what they described as “fake elections”.
In Monday’s statement, the anti-corruption watchdog said the defendant shared a post published by Tong.
“A warrant for the arrest of Tong, who has since left Hong Kong, was previously issued by a Magistrate at ICAC’s request,” ICAC said.
Those found guilty of inciting another person not to vote, or to cast an invalid ballot, face up to three years in prison and a fine of HK$200,000.
In March 2021, Beijing passed legislation to Make sure “patriots” govern Hong Kong. Movement reduced democratic representation in the legislature, strengthened election control and introduced a pro-Beijing vetting panel to select candidates. The authorities say that the repair ensures the stability and prosperity of the city. But the changes also caused international punishmentso much of the traditional opposition remains behind barsIN self-exile or has left politics.










