Government issues letters of offer of restitution to Wang Fuk Court house owners


Hong Kong’s government said it has issued letters of offer to owners of fire-ravaged Wang Fuk Court houses, moving forward with its plan to obtain title deeds from displaced residents.

Residents collecting their belongings at Wang Sun House, Wang Fuk Court on April 20, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Residents collecting their belongings at Wang Sun House, Wang Fuk Court on April 20, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

The government said on Thursday that it has distributed “offer letters” to the owners of seven blocks of flats affected in the massive November inferno that killed 168 people – Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades.

The movement follows notification of the authorities in February that they would spend up to HK$6.8 billion to buy apartments from owners. The budget consists of HK$4 billion in taxpayers’ money and HK$2.8 billion from a support fund made up mainly of public donations.

Owners can choose cash or an apartment exchange for a new government-subsidized unit under a special sales scheme, according to the February plan.

The government has set up a company called Wang Fuk Court Property Rights Acquisition Limited, which has distributed the offer letters to the owners, she said on Thursday.

The owners have until Aug. 31 to sign a “letter of acceptance” attached to the offer letter and return it to the company if they choose to accept the purchase, he said.

Wang Fuk Court is seen in the distance on April 20, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Wang Fuk Court is seen in the distance on April 20, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

“Upon receipt of the duly signed ‘Letter of Acceptance’ from the owners, the government will make every effort to immediately assist in completing the Sale-Purchase Agreement and (Decree of) Assignment,” a government spokesperson said in a statement. STATEMENT.

Early flat selection

For landlords who opt for cash, authorities will speed up payment for them to buy on the private market, the government said.

Those who want to take part in the government’s special sale scheme will be allowed to choose their flats earlier if they quickly accept the buyback offer, authorities added.

They will get priority if they return the admission letter by June 30.

For the homeowners of Wang Chi House, the only block that was not affected by the fire, the government said that if 75 percent of the owners sign the letter of acceptance by June 30, the purchase plan will be made available to them. The government previously said that the purchase of the House of Wang Chi would require An additional HK$1 billion.

Thursday’s statement did not mention what deals were available to those who chose not to accept the government’s restitution offers.

Judge David Lok, chairman of an independent committee tasked with investigating the deadly Tai Po fire in Hong Kong, leaves a public hearing on March 26, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Judge David Lok, chairman of an independent committee tasked with investigating the deadly Tai Po fire in Hong Kong, leaves a public hearing on March 26, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

Amid calls from some residents for the apartment to be rebuilt in its original location, the government has done so said that the purchase plan is final.

Authorities said the seven towers hit by the flames suffered “irreversible” internal damage and that they will be demolished to build a park or other community facilities.

However, some residents expressed skepticism about the government’s proposal after one public inquiry to the fire found that the damage was concentrated in a number of buildings.

Some residents also expressed a desire to return to the estate once they were allowed to return to their homes to retrieve their personal belongings and found their homes largely undamaged, according to for local media.

Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong, who is leading the purchase plan, said in February that the government would study whether “special legislation” would be necessary if some landlords refuse to sell their homes.

Maintaining freedom of the press; keep HKFP free for all readers supporting our team

Support HKFP | Policies & Ethics | Error/typo? | CONTACT | Bulletin | Transparency and Annual Report | Applications

Make one one time donation.
Google Play hkfp
hkfp apple app
hkfp payment methods
Youtube video
Youtube video



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *